HashiCorp Terraform Training
Selection available of 1-5 day courses including Introduction, Intermediate & Advanced courses.
Your Trainer: TOM HOWARTH
Tom Howarth holds several industry awards, including HashiCorp Ambassador (4 yrs), VMware VCP VMware vCAP-DCD and VMware vExpert (15 yrs), VMware vExpert-NSX (5 yrs), VMware vExpert Pro (4 yrs), and VMware vExpert Cloud Provider (4 yrs).
Tom is a British ex-pat who currently lives in Gibraltar and has previously worked worldwide (Australia, USA, Middle East and several European countries).
He has been working with VMware and related cloud and virtualization technologies since 2005.
Further, he has been the technical editor or reviewer of several technical books including, the seminal Phoenix Project, and has written chapters for several virtualization-based technical books.
When he is not up to his ears in Enterprise DevOps and Cloud, he is sitting on his balcony quaffing a nice IPA or Porter and enjoying the view.
This set of courses is usually run within a work week from Monday to Friday, and will be delivered remotely, live led within a virtual Lab setting.
This 1 Day introductionary course covers the following topics:
- What is DevOps Vs DevSecOps Vs SRE?
- Tool sets in DevOps Vs DevSecOps Vs SRE?
- Overview of infrastructure during SDLC?
- Problems with many infrastructure tools?
- Introducing Infrastructure as Code
- Declarative vs. Imperative
- Introduction of Terraform
- Advantages & Disadvantages of Terraform
- How Terraform works for Infrastructure as Code?
- Alternative of Terraform
- Terraform Use cases
- How to install Terraform?
- Introductions of Terraform Components
- Terraform Providers
- Terraform Registry
- Terraform Resources
- Terraform Resources Argument Reference
- Deploying Your First Terraform Configuration
- Terraform Basics Workflow using Terraform CLI
- terraform validate
- terraform init
- terraform plan
- terraform apply
- terraform show
- terraform detroy
- Updating Your Configuration with More Resources
- Configuring a Resource After Creation
- Adding a New Provider to Your Configuration
- Understanding Terraform state file
- Terraform Resource Behavior & Lifecycle
- Undertanding Terraform HCL syntax & Style
- Terraform Resources Meta-Argument
- Using Terraform for Create Cloud Provider Compute Resources
This 2-Days intermediate course covers the following topics:
- Introduction of Terraform Variables & Values
- Input Variables
- Output Values
- Local Values
- Where to declare a Terraform Input Variables?
- Deep dive into Types of Terraform Input Variables
- How to access Terraform Input Variables value?
- Terraform Input Variables precedence & Scope
- Working with Terraform Output Values
- Working with Terraform Local Values
- Introduction of Terraform Data sources?
- Accessing Terraform Data sources?
- Working with Terraform HCL Operators
- Overview of Terraform Functions
- Working with Terraform Functions
- Numeric Functions
- String Functions
- Collection Functions
- Encoding Functions
- Filesystem Functions
- Date and Time Functions
- Hash and Crypto Functions
- IP Network Functions
- Type Conversion Functions
- Introducing Terraform Provisioners
- Working with Terraform Provisioners
This 1-day advanced course covers the following topics:
- Working with Terraform Templates
- Working with Workspaces for multiple environments
- Working with Remote Backend for managing State file for team
- Understanding Terraform State locking
- Terraform Troubleshooting using logs & common errors
- Introducing Terraform Module
- Using with Terraform Module from Registry
- Developing Custom Terraform Module
- Publishing Modules on the Terraform Registry
- Introducing Terraform Console
- Introducing Terraform Tags
- Introducing Terraform Cloud
In this 1-day course you learn how to collaborate on version-controlled configuration using Terraform Cloud.
Follow this track to build, change, and destroy infrastructure using remote runs and state.
- Sign up for Terraform Cloud, which provides free remote state storage, a stable run environment, version control system (VCS).
- Create a Terraform Cloud workspace. Fork a demonstration GitHub repo containing Terraform configuration.
- Create Infrastructure
- Configure a Terraform Cloud workspace with Cloud credentials by setting environment variables. Set DynamoDB read and write.
- Change Infrastructure
- Queue a speculative plan by opening a pull request. Inspect the plan and merge the PR to automatically queue a Terraform Cloud.
- Destroy Resources and Workspaces
- Destroy the resources in a Terraform Cloud workspace, and delete the workspace via the web UI.
TEAM & GOVERNANCE
- Enforce a Policy
Create a version-controlled policy to check the Terraform version using Sentinel, a policy-as-code platform. Fork a demo repo.
- Control Costs with Policies
- Turn on cost estimation in your Terraform Cloud organization. Write a soft-mandatory policy against example infrastructure to.